Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ub server live install USB odd issue adding raid / lvm

Beans

Re: ub server live install USB odd issue adding raid / lvm

hi MAF

thanks that, very useful information

Initially was trying to get the on board graphics working before i saw it needed a Ryzen with GPU built in!!

Will remember that one. Already have a PCI tuner card and I might have to add a CPI-e for more drives so that could be the only way!

cheers
    Al

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ub server live install USB odd issue adding raid / lvm

I moved from a Ryzen 2600 + Nvidia 1030 GT config to a Ryzen 5600G. It was a pure-CPU-only swap. I kept the same RAM and same motherboard (Asus B450 Strix). The 5600G was $120 at the time. 40% CPU performance improvement for $120. Then I sold the Ryzen 2600 and 16GB of RAM for $80 ... so I was out $40 for 40% performance increase. Bargain!

The onboard Ryzen 5600G iGPU is faster than the 1030GT ever was AND supports some things that the older nvidia doesn't like hardware video transcoding in the iGPU. When HW-Transcoding is running, it doesn't impact the CPU load at all. HW-Transcoding is about 6x real-time, while Handbrake SW-transcoding is about 1x of real-time, but make much, much better videos.

If you don't want the cost of the 5600G, the 4600G has the same iGPU inside and should be $30 cheaper.

I use LVM and on 24.04 Server, didn't see any issues setting up LVM. Now, all the desktop Ubuntu Flavors seem to have removed LVM support, except for upgrades. I don't do non-LVM RAID anymore. The way I do LVM-RAID is to add it after the install. That means just RAID1 is supported. Can't so anything with striping, but using an lvchange to convert from non-RAID to RAID1 is pretty trivial. I should say, I don't use RAID on my production servers anymore. SSDs are extremely reliable now. I made this choice after discussing RAID with an enterprise storage buddy who sells enterprise SSDs with RAID. He said it was a complete waste of money for almost all his clients, but that he was happy to take their money. Of course, you and I aren't buying the enterprise SSDs that he sells so our reliability will be less. Just ensure you have good daily backups, so any storage issue is an inconvenience, not anything more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12