Thread: Upgrade 22.04 to 24.04

Beans

Thumbs down Upgrade 22.04 to 24.04

Is 24.04 still not available for servers?
    when I try:
    Code:
    root@mta:~# apt upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    root@mta:~# do-release-upgrade
    Checking for a new Ubuntu release
    There is no development version of an LTS available.
    To upgrade to the latest non-LTS development release
    set Prompt=normal in /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades.
    root@mta:~# uname -a
    Linux mta 6.8.4-2-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.8.4-2 (2024-04-10T17:36Z) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Upgrade 22.04 to 24.04

From 22.04 the upgrade to 24.04 will not be available until the first point release sometime in August.
    Possibly earlier with the -d flag.

It's been this way for over a decade now.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm in the middle of testing that (DEV) process for the upgrade path from 22.04.4 LTS Server to 24.04 LTS... with a challenge for it:
    Ubuntu Server Edition 22.04.4 LTS, with ZFS-On_Root Encrypted, to 24.04 LTS

Not going to work at this time.

The usual method for server is to install update-manager-core and do do-release-upgrade... That does not see the LTS until the .1 point release. It is not even close yet.

For earlier, we usually add the -d to search for interim versions. Right now, that finds nothing.

BUT-- It's still broke.

Even straight from 22.04 to 24.04 via the 'debian release upgrade' method is broken right now.

Even going from Jammy to Mantic has some problems at the moment. It would not upgrade to Mantic via 'do-release-upgrade' right not. That seems to be turned off. I could only do that via the 'debian release upgrade' to Mantic, and that had problems which I had to fix manually during and after the install process. Once I got to there, I could do 'do-release-upgrade -d' to Noble. After the Release Upgrade, there were still things that had to be changed manually, for Noble to be Noble.

That Server use-case is Noble now. But it took "advanced skills" to get there. Something in the differences between the Jammy and Noble Repo's does not install the needed toolset to create the initramfs image for kernel 6.8.0. (If you go straight from Jammy to Noble.) But going from Mantic to Noble does work. If 22.04.4 is ZFS, then bpool needs enough room in it for the newer boot files, and to update the symlinks. Some cleanup there is required to make that room, before the process starts. I also did an 'apt autoremove' before each of the jumps... And unistalled some old kernels that were there, to make extra room.

*** I would NOT recommend to the new to mid-level skilled User to do that right now... Wait for some changes.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post

*** I would NOT recommend to the new to mid-level skilled User to do that right now... Wait for some changes.
    I Certainly Concur, not for the faint of heart.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Note: 1fallen was privy to the results/details of those tests.

If you tried what I did, you would be quickly be posting back asking for help to recover from what it does. That is just honesty, and reality.

It was harder than it even was to do normal DEV Cycle testing = more work-arounds needed to get it to work.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags